Monday 8 October 2012

Review: Sweet Evil - Wendy Higgins


Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1)

Title: Sweet Evil
Author: Wendy Higgins
Series: The Sweet Trilogy (1)
Publisher: Harper Teen
Release Date: 01 May 2012
Date Read: September 2012
Rating: ★★

The sole purpose of the Nephilim is to corrupt humans to do bad- to feel greed, envy, wrath, to intoxicate themselves, to commit adultery, to hurt one another. The Nephilim's life depends on fulfilling this job. It does not matter whether or not they want to do this deed. A different take on the tale of the fallen angels, yet still managed to maintain the essence of the battle between good and evil. I haven't really read Nephilim books that I liked, (then again, I've only read like three Nephilim series) but I love Sweet Evil. There were things that could be better but I hope Wiggins will only improve from now on. 

Anna Whitt is nice, innocent, naive, kind, pure and one of the biggest goody-goods I have ever read. I know it serves a purpose, but it went a little overboard. The story was written in first person narrative and there were instances where her ramblings left me cringing in disbelief.
"Kai, like Thai, only yummier!"
“He was smoking hot. As in H-O-T-T, hott. I’d never understood until that moment why girls insisted on adding an extra t. This guy was extra-t-worthy."
I know. I was embarrassed enough for the both of us.
Anyway, I tried to appreciate her better qualities. She wasn't all bad. She has a great relationship with her foster mother and her best friend, Jay (it's a platonic friendship, everyone). She's a genuinely nice person. She's determined and she stands up for herself and others around her.

And the alluring, 'extra-t-worthy'-hott Kaidan Rowe. He is the son of the Duke of Lust, and enticing women to have sex with him comes with the title. He is expected to have sex with women- steal their virginities, break promises- every day. It was kind of disgusting, to be honest. I just felt dirty, like I needed a shower, when Kaidan was explaining what he had to do. At least Kaidan doesn't enjoy doing what he does. There are other Nephilim, children of the Dukes, who don't want to do evil. But they have to anyway because their parents are douches.

The romance between Anna and Kaidan is chock full of drama. It was addicting and very sensual. I'm just going to stop right there...

I liked most of the side characters. I felt that they each brought some interest to the scenes. There are lots of potential for character improvement in each one that I hope Higgins will capitalize on in later books. Oh, but Kopano can suck it.

I had problems with the writing style and the pace of the story. The pace was inconsistent, which made for choppy reading. But like I said, Higgins can only improve and the next installments will be better. I can't wait.

If you liked the Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick, then you'll probably like this one.

1 comments:

  1. I agree with you. Anna was sometimes rambling a little bit too much, but I think it suited her well. I can't wait for the next instalment, and like you said, it can only be better.
    Great review!

    Anatea @ Anatea's Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

Comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...