Sunday 12 August 2012

Review: Legend - Marie Lu

Legend (Legend, #1)Title: Legend
Author: Mrie Lu
Series: Legend (1)
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Release Date: 29 November 2011
Date Read: August 2012
Rating: 

I ended up putting off reading this one for quite a while because some forgotten reason. But I got through it and I really enjoyed this. It was so good. 

Legend is written in split narratives between June Iparis and Day Wing. June and Day live in completely different worlds; Day, the most notorious criminal of the Republic and June, a prodigy and a soldier of the Republic. June's brother is brutally murdered and her new mission is to capture the criminal. This mission brings her to Day's presence and, of course, romance blooms between the two.

The characters felt a little bit two dimensional, though. I mean, I really enjoyed reading their perspectives but June and Day were just so perfect. I don't recall any actual flaws in their character. Oh, but I guess there was something with June. She's the Republic's prodigy, exceptionally smart and physically incredible, and that's exactly who she was. She didn't even question the Republic's motives and just believed in her government that they were the good guys, even though proof otherwise was basically handed to her otherwise.

Speaking of the Republic, world building was poor. I haven't got a clue how our world turned into the dystopian that the characters lives in. 

Legend is a dystopian novel filled with action, adventure and intrigue. Apparently it was a retelling or inspired or something by Les Miserables. Now I don't actually know what Les Mis is about so I can't comment on that. But it did feel a lot like Romeo and Juliet.

But, yes, it was great.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...