Tuesday 21 August 2012

Read It and Weep

I was scrolling through my Tumblr Dashboard. The usual- hipster things, photography photos, quotes, photo-sets, gifs, whatever. Then I came across this text post:
There's going to come a day when we've all grown up, had a career, maybe got married and had kids, when were all going about our daily routine. Maybe you're driving to work with the car radio on, or you're making dinner with the tv on in the lounge. Life as usual, and then we hear a name. It's the name of the person you had a blog dedicated to when you were 16. The person you had posters of up on your bedroom wall, or as your desktop background. The person off that show you used to watch every week, as soon as it came out, or that band you used to love. The person from the cast of a movie that changed your life, or the character who you scrolled through page after page of fanfiction of. You haven't heard that name in a long time, and it brings everything back. And then the name is followed by three words you thought you'd never hear. Has Passed Away. And then you put down the potato peeler and lean back against your kitchen bench, or you pull over to the side of the road, and tears are streaming down your face. And all over the world, there are people who used to be just like you, with tears marking their cheeks and sobs forcing their way out of their throat, because they remember. Because fandoms never really die out. We never really move on. We never really forget.
Yes. I know. It was cruel and sad and inevitable. Needless to say, I just sat there and cried my eyes out while a montage of deaths of all the awesome people flashed through my brain. I cried even more. I could not handle it.

2 comments:

  1. Oh that's terrible. Why would you put that thought in my head???

    No, actually it's something I've thought about before. Where I think, "This person is going to die one day." And it's terrible, because a part of me could actually never imagine them dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I feel like I see these people, especially authors, as immortals. I guess you can argue that authors are immortal- with their work and whatnot. But yeah. It's a very sad thought.

      Delete

Comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...