Tuesday 15 January 2013

Review -- Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Onyx (Lux, #2)Title: Onyx
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: The Lux (2)
Publisher:
Release Date:
Date Read: Jan 2013
Rating: ★★★★


Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?
No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…



A million times better than Obsidian, which I didn't think was possible.

Everything was brilliant, even the crappy frustrating things at the beginning. I'll just get the frustrating stuff out of the way before I start gushing on about the rest of the book.


I ended up reading this for a considerably long time and that's mostly because I was so angry during the first 100 pages that I could barely read the damn book. Seriously. Katy was pissing me off. Daemon was being an over=protective jerk. Then there was Blake, wedging himself like a rock between Katy and Daemon's relationship, and it was already rocky enough. Katy was being the usual annoying teenage girl, making excuses, being in denial. She kept leading Bob on and there was so much love triangle angsty crap. Argh!


Ok that's all. On to the great stuff.


There were some great character development both with Katy and Daemon. Katy was even more kickass in Onyx than in Obsidian. She's stronger, more independent and more sarcastic than ever. Daemon's character had the biggest turn-around. He was determined to prove to Katy that his feelings for her were his own, and not just the result of the alien linky-link between them. Over-protectiveness aside, he became sweet and endearing and it was fun seeing them be super cute with each other. I really liked the direction Armentrout took in regards to their relationship. It was natural and realistic in terms of Daemon and Katy's personalities. That doesn't mean they didn't make mistakes though. Because they did- a craptonne of them. But they were mistakes they have to had made to get to the place they were now. They were able to discover and know each other, be friends and earn each others' trust. And let's not forget the hot and heavy scenes. Super sexy.


So many things happened as well. I feel like all of this couldn't have happened in just one book. The pacing was good and there wasn't a boring part in the whole book. Armentrout amped up the plot and the stakes of the story to a whole new level. The new elements of the story- Boris, the DOD, the super powers- they all worked together to keep me on toes.


With the ending of Onyx, this series has become so much more than Daemon and Katy's love story and I'm sure Opal will hold more surprises and excitement and amazingness than both Obsidian and Onyx.

P.S.
I would pay lots of money to see that In My Mailbox video.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...