Thursday 17 January 2013

Review -- Scarlet by A. C. Gaughen


Scarlet (Scarlet #1)
Title: Scarlet
Author: A. C. Gaughen
Series: Scarlet (1)
Publisher: Walker Childrens
Release Date: 14 February 2012
Date Read: January 2013
Rating: ★★★☆☆

Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in.

It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin—whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her—that keeps Scarlet going and makes this fight worth dying for.



Scarlet is a fairy tale re-telling of Robin Hood with a feminine twist. I haven't read the original tale so I only know the most basic details of the story. Most, but not all, of the references and variations were probably lost on me. But, if you're like me and you're not too familiar with Robin Hood, you'll still be able to enjoy the story.

There was plenty of action to satisfy the reader. The author didn't hold back when it came to the blood and gore. Scarlet and the band are masters of swordplay and violence, all for a good cause, of course.

Scarlet is sarcastic, rude and mean. She is against people helping her, because she sees it as a sign of weakness and as she keeps reminding everyone, she can take care of herself. I don't like it when heroines think like this. I understand her aversion to getting close with people but no need to be rude. Jeez. Scarlet has a crappy attitude that resulted in me not sympathizing with her plight and hardships, at least not until halfway through the book. For a while, I saw her as an immature fourteen-year old, instead of the eighteen-year old warrior she's supposed to be. It took a while for me to get used to her.

The romance is nice and subtle and slow burning. Rob was super sweet and I had warm fuzzies in my stomach because they really were cute. I wish she hadn't bothered with the love triangle though. That whole drama between Scarlet, Rob and John was unnecessary since it was obvious Rob and Scarlet were going to end up together. She was trying to add drama and tension but it have worked better without the triangle. I would've preferred it if John and Scarlet just remained really very good friends. We don't get enough plank tic relationships between a girl and a guy in this genre.

I was not a big fan of the way it ended. I know it's the first of the series but I thought it was too open ended and it wasn't even a cliffhanger. It just ended. I don't know if I'll continue the series. Most likely not. It enjoyed it but I didn't think it was anything great.

1 comments:

  1. I'm curious what I'll think of this novel. I often don't mind unsympathetic main characters if the book is written well from their point of view - so I can understand why they are the way they are. But it all depends on the writing.

    ReplyDelete

Comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...